Call Us:
East Long Beach: 562.434.4725
Bixby Knolls: 562.999.1846
Lancaster: 661.443.6239

Hours After Oct. 15th:
7th Street: Mon & Wed: Noon - 4 pm
Bixby Knolls: Tues & Thurs: Noon - 4 pm

When Is Alimony/Spousal Support Not Alimony/Spousal Support?

Date: February 22, 2020

Author: Trish Wright


When a spouse pays the other spouse spousal support, it is a deduction to the paying spouse and is income to the receiving spouse.  Child support on the other hand is not deductible nor is it taxed.  This is why many folks try to say their child support is actually spousal support.  The IRS says nuh, uh, uh.  To be considered spousal support the amount must be paid in cash, paid pursuant to a divorce or separation agreement, said agreement does not specifically say they are not deductible, the spouses live apart, payments end when the other party remarries.

linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram